
For Christmas, my brother gave us the book, "The Last of the Giants". It's a book about three evangelists that witnessed to the lumberjacks in Wisconsin and Minnesota in the late 1800's. It tells about the type of life the lumberjacks lived, and how God used these three men to reach many of them for Christ. Frank Higgins, John Sornberger (Jack McWilliams), and Elwyn 'Al' Channer. Although all three of these men's stories are great, I think John Sornberger's is the most exciting and fun to read. The author must have agreed because 55% of the book is dedicated to his story. How he became a fighter, and then an outlaw, and was finally saved and began preaching to his fellow 'jacks'. It is crazy to think about miles and miles of trees that are 5-6 feet in diameter. And that those men cut them all down by hand and got them out of the woods and to sawmills.
I'm very glad that I read this book. It helps me to be reminded that no one is too 'bad' that the Lord Jesus Christ can not save them. It also helped to remind me that there may be people in my life that I specifically have been gifted to witness to. Whether it's people from a similar background, or with similar experiences, or any other connection, I need to keep myself "..ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you." (1 Peter 3:15).
This book is definitely going back on the shelf, but maybe not until after Kevin reads it because I know he would enjoy it a lot as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment