Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Area #5 and Area #6: The Living Room

I'm not sure why I divided the living room into two sections.  I guess I was anticipating it being a bigger project than it was.  Maybe because the room is so much bigger than the other areas and I wanted to narrow in on even the small areas in our house.  At any rate, these two areas were completed all at once, and I love the results.  The two biggest parts were the game closet (which holds a lot of other things too), and the girls' toy area.  Here is the closet. 

Before
After





Notice my cute basket holding stuff in the closet? :D ---->













I set up my 'gift wrapping station' here in this closet.  I've got all my wrapping paper, bags, tissue paper, ribbon, bows, tape.  Now all I need to add is a pair of scissors and it will be set.

The toy area/corner cupboard has been an eye sore for me for, well, since we moved.  Kevin insists that the speakers be elevated to approximately ear level in order to achieve the best sound.  So the speakers have been sitting on the rectangle shelf he made for our first apartment that has since been used as a stand for painting things. 


We haven't really found a specific purpose for the corner thing.  Not really sure what to call it.  We picked it up off the side of the road for free last summer.  I love the look of it, but now it actually has a purpose.  I put blankets on the top shelf, and hid all the toys underneath.  Evelyn is tall enough to open the doors, so they can still get to all the toys, but you can't see them when you just walk in the room (as long as they're all picked up).  Speaking of which, the first thing Evelyn did when I showed her the new spot for the toys was pull them all out and onto the floor.  Good thing this house will clean itself right?


I took that old painted on support for the speakers and traded it in for the coffee table that we don't use as a coffee table anyway.  I have a speaker stand on my list of things to look for at thrift sales, because ultimately I would like to move the desk under the pictures to the right of the mirror, but it won't fit right now with the coffee table there.


The other part of our living room really didn't need anything done to it.  It's filled with big furniture and we don't do much there except for read and talk. I do want to get some sort of magazine rack or place to hold books that we're in the process of reading.  I also want to find a log holder to put by the fireplace instead of that nice high-quality banana box.


On a side note, I got part of the kitchen done as well today and hope to finish and post about that tomorrow.  This is moving along a lot quicker than I thought which is exciting.  On another side note, the shelf and coat hooks Kevin is making are taking longer than expected, but are still in progress. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks cozy and inviting. I like how you have the chairs in front of the window, and the clock on the fireplace. This room holds many fond memories, and I'm so glad you are able to fill it with more.

    ReplyDelete