Friday, March 30, 2012

Area #15: Girls' Closet

I've already put a couple of systems into place in their closet to help keep things organized.  The first is the small clear containers on the top shelf.  One holds cloth diapers that I use as swim diapers in the summer.  One holds books that are longer than Evelyn's attention span.  I'm saving them for when she gets a little older and will actually sit still for the whole book.  Another holds baby bottles and feeding items, and the last holds toys that are currently out of circulation.  Most had multiple small pieces that just ended up everywhere and were hard to keep picked up.  Maybe I'll rotate out some different ones and put these back into circulation, or maybe I'll just get rid of them. I haven't decided yet.

Closet After
Closet Before

The other system that I just recently perfected is to keep clothes that they've outgrown or have yet to grow into in order.  I set up 4 totes and labeled them on the top: "Too big for Elsie", "Too small for Elsie", "Too big for Evelyn", and "Too small for Evelyn".  Now when either girl outgrows something, I just toss it into the appropriately labeled tote. When that tote gets full, I neatly fold everything in it, label the sizes and store it in the basement replacing it with a new empty tote.  When I empty out the tote labeled, "Too big for Elsie", I go downstairs and get the next bigger size and bring it up to add to her dresser.  I've been doing this since shortly after we moved to our new house, and it has saved me tons of time and kept things much more orderly than piles of clothes everywhere, or diaper boxes packed with miscellaneous sizes.

No comments:

Post a Comment