Monday, April 9, 2012

Girls Dress Project

My sister-in-law and I have been talking about making dresses for our girls since last summer.  We even went as far as going to the fabric store to look at fabric, but we didn't find anything that we liked well enough to pay $5 a yard for.  About a month ago we were cleaning out a closet at her house and found some old bed sheets that were hardly worn and had a pretty flower pattern on them.  We decided that they would be perfect for making the dresses we'd been talking about.

So, on Wednesday of last week we got together and cut out the pieces for the dresses.  This took way longer than I was expecting because every dress piece had to be cut out twice for each dress (one for the dress and one for the dress lining) and then there were three dresses.  It took us almost a full afternoon just to cut out the pattern.

We had decided between ourselves that there was no way we could get them done before Easter since it was only 4 days away and we both had other things going on too.  I decided to work on Evelyn's dress on Thursday just to see how long it would take to do.  Well, I got it almost all done except for the zipper and hem and a little hand sewing as well as a good portion started on Elsie's dress.  This gave me hope that I could possibly get the dresses done by Sunday.

Basically 2 1/2 days of straight sewing and I had all three of them done.  My fingers were achy and my back sore from bending over the sewing machine, and I was generally lacking in the sleep department, but it was so worth it!  Here are the results:

Evelyn

Elsie

Karissa



Happy Easter everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment