Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday is Laundry Day

When I was younger, I would sometimes see dish towels that had the days of the week on them along with different household tasks.  For example: Monday: Laundry.  I used to always think to myself, "Who actually does the same one thing on the same day every week?  It seems too complicated to only to certain things on certain days."  Little did I know where I would be today.

I never used to do laundry only on Mondays.  I used to stretch it out as far as possible.  I would do laundry about every two weeks, and on that day(s) I would do 7-8 loads of laundry and spend more time than I'd like to think folding and putting away clothes that day.  It honestly took up my entire day.  Just recently, we started watching two kids from our church on Mondays.  Because they're here, I can't just ignore all the children and work on projects or pull out big organizing things I want to work on.  It just isn't practical, and the kids what to do fun things with me.  So, I decided that Monday would be a good day to do laundry.  It takes less than 2 minutes to put a load of clothes in the washer, or switch loads, and that leaves plenty of time to interact with the kids while clothes are still being cleaned.  I just pile all the baskets of clean laundry in one spot to be folded after they leave for the day, or during movie time.

Now that I've been doing this for a couple of months, I realized how much I like it.  We always have clean clothes.  Kevin doesn't have to wait two weeks to get his work pants clean, the hampers aren't overflowing, the dirty dishrags aren't collecting and stinking under the sink... you get the picture.  Folding and putting away take maybe 15 minutes and it's done.  And the complicated I thought it would be?  Not complicated at all.  It takes up only pieces of one day a week.  Not an entire exhausting day every two weeks.  I actually enjoy the consistency it brings to my week.  I've actually started doing other things on regular days throughout the week.

Monday: Laundry
Tuesday: Grocery Shopping
Wednesday: Cleaning
Thursday: Thrift Sales in the summer time
Friday: Free for projects
Saturday: Open day
Sunday: Lord's Day/ Family Day

I'm excited to see how my weekly schedule with change over the years with different things joining the list.  I hope that gardening day, park play day, and others will join on this summer once the weather is nicer.

1 comment:

  1. Funny! I typically try to do a lot of laundry on Mondays also. It's the day that I usually have the most amount of spare time to dedicate to that project. And I especially like to get my clothes washed right after my soccer games. But some weeks it just ends up being a load here, a load there; it depends on quantity and how much spare time I have each day.

    ReplyDelete