Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Wean: Week 3

This week I have dropped the night feeding.  The first two days were a little bit rough come bed time.  Starting at around 7pm, Evelyn starts getting whiny and clingy and insists on crawling up on my lap and laying her head down on me while she sucks her thumb.  I think that the main thing for her is that she's loosing her Mommy connection time and she doesn't like it.  Even though I hold her while she drinks her cup of milk, it's not the same.  I need to make an intentional effort to do fun things with her throughout the day to make up for this time she is missing.  Even simple things like reading stories, or chasing her and tickling her tummy, or going for a walk, or holding her in my lap for 5 mins are things that I know she loves and don't take much time out of my day.

I am anticipating next week to actually be easier than this week.  With all nursing times being supplemented, she's not left wondering, "I wonder if mom will nurse me THIS time?" Because she won't be nursed at all.  I'm sure we'll probably have a rough first couple of mornings, but after that and after a few weeks, it will all be but a fond memory (if even that).

Part of me is sad to be done nursing Evelyn already.  Initially I had hoped to continue for at least a year.  I guess making it almost to 11 months is pretty good.  The other part of me is looking forward to the freedom that will come with being done.  I can leave Evelyn with others (Kevin, family, etc.) and not worry about if she'll take the bottle for them okay.  The reality is that my break from nursing will be an all too short 5 months before #2 is here and we start again.  And my body could use a break to just focus on growing this little one.

1 comment:

  1. Anna, you are such a great mother...it blesses me so because I can tell that you are enjoying it to the fullest. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete