Thursday, April 11, 2013

Healthy Homemade Granola

My husband LOVES granola. I mean, he really loves it. I have tried buying almost every single kind of granola that is sold in stores and they're just 'okay' by his standards. It works because it's food and if he puts enough yogurt on it, who can tell? But as a wife, I wanted to have a granola for him that he just couldn't get enough of. And that's where my latest endeavor came in.

Homemade granola. 

And it wasn't even that hard. It took about 30mins to make and then I set it out to cool. And the best part: he loves it! I think my problem was that he grew up on homemade everything and store bought granola just isn't the same.

I started with a recipe I found from Kevin's grandma that she gave me at my bridal shower. And then I tweaked it. Here's what I ended up putting in:

6 C.       Gluten Free Oats
1 1/2 C. Chopped Pecans
1/2 C.    Sunflour Seeds
1/4 C.    Flax Seeds
1/4 C.    Sesame Seeds
1 C.       Shredded Coconut
2/3 C.    Honey
2/3 C.    Olive Oil
1 Tb.     Cinnamon
1 Tsp.    Vanilla
1 1/2 C. Raisins

First I put the oats and all the nuts and seeds in a large pan and baked them in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes. Then added the coconut, cinnamon, and liquid ingredients. Mixed it up really good and then put it back in the oven for another 15mins stirring it every 5mins. After that, I spread it out on parchment paper and left it to cool. Then added the raisins and put it in a jar. And voila! It's ready to eat.

It's not quite as crunchy as some granolas because I used honey instead of sugar, but it still tastes awesome. I think Kevin is secretly waiting for the yogurt I made to get done this afternoon before he really dives in, but I keep catching him pulling handfuls out of the jar and eating it.

Success as a wife = priceless!


No comments:

Post a Comment