Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Shanghai Stirfry

I don't think I've ever posted a recipe before, but we just ate this last night, and it was so yummy, I thought I would share it.  The recipe is called Shanghai Stirfry from the recipe book "Two Sisters Cookbook".  Well, the sauce recipe is from there.  The rest is just what I throw together.  Doesn't it look yummy?

To make the sauce, mix together:
*1/2 C. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
*1/2 C. Braags Amino Acids
*A chunk of Ginger Root a little bigger  than your thumb sent through the garlic press
*3 Garlic Cloves minced
*2 Tb. Honey
*1 Tb. Cornstarch mixed into 1/4 C. Cold Water

Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute until quite bubbly.  Then let it sit until you're ready for it.

I used a 3lb beef roast for the meat, cooking all of it, but only putting half into the recipe. The other half went in the freezer ready for next time.  I've made it with a venison roast before, and that is delicious as well.  Let the roast thaw in the fridge for a day so that it's still mostly frozen, but easily sliced with a sharp knife.  Slice the meat into thin strips. Pour about 1/4 C. of sauce into frying pan and cook the meat.  Then pull the meat out and set aside. 

Chop up whatever vegetables you have on hand or want in your stir fry.  I try to keep it to about 5 different veggies max.  Too many more gives it too many different flavors.  I like to keep it simple.  For this batch I used carrots, onion, broccoli, and cauliflower, but feel free to mix it up to suit your tastes.  Cabbage, and peas are two of our other favorites to add.  Cut them small so that they cook faster.  In the same pan you cooked the meat in, add another 1/4 C. (approximate - I just dump some in) of the sauce and cook all the veggies until they are the tenderness you like.  I cook them pretty soft so that the girls don't have any trouble eating them.  This usually takes about 20-30 mins. 

While all of this is going on, don't forget to cook some rice.  Time it to be done at the same time as everything else if you can. I made this meal last night, and from start to finish - slicing meat to ready to eat it took 1 1/2 hours.  But a lot of that time is cook time, so I got all the dishes washed and the kitchen mostly cleaned up during that time as well.  Then, enjoy!


Let me know if you give this recipe a try.  I'd love to hear how you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment