Thursday, June 30, 2011

Gardening

There's just something about sitting down to a meal of produce that you grew in your garden.  It gives me (at least) a feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment that my hard work is literally putting food on our table.  Not only that, but the healthiest and freshest vegetables around.  This year with a new baby, a small yard with no room to plant, and barely enough time to wash dishes and get laundry done, gardening was put to the wayside.

Back this winter as I thought forward about not being able to garden, I got disappointed about it.  I know that Kevin loves fresh vegetables, and I could really help our grocery bill by growing it myself.  After sharing my disappointment with Kevin, he encouraged me by reminding me that it'll only be a couple more years that we live in this house, and a couple more years until Evelyn can help me more, and a couple more years that we run our lawn care business, and until then the farmer's market is close by.  As he put it, "It's not worth killing yourself for some carrots and lettuce when they're only a couple bucks at the farmer's market."  This really helped me because I truly want to please my husband in all that I do, and it was reassuring to know that by not attempting to garden I was not disappointing or letting him down.

Someday I will have a garden that produces enough to put away food for the whole year.  It will be a family affair with all the children helping.  I'm sure they will all whine about having to weed the garden, but years down the road they will look back and count it a blessing that they know what carrot plants look like, and what weeds look like.  Kind of like how it was for us growing up.

Until then I will have to settle for a few tomato and pepper plants in pots alongside the garage and whatever others give me out of the abundance of their own gardens.  But oh how my tomato and pepper plants are flourishing in their little pots of dirt and compost.

Here's a tiny peek into my "garden".


The first little green tomato.


The first little hot pepper.



 The first of the blossoms on my regular pepper plants.


I didn't do anything special to them, but all of my plants are doing very well.  On one pepper plant I counted 16 little blossoms.  And that's just one plant!  It looks like we will have a bountiful harvest even if it is only peppers and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment